Kapton® films made of polyimide (PI)
For high temperature applications
Kapton® polyimide films combine electrical, thermal, chemical and mechanical properties that are not otherwise found in this unique combination in polymer film materials. Due to their performance within a wide temperature range, Kapton® films open up a wide range of design and application possibilities. Kapton® polyimide films are particularly suitable for applications under high operating temperatures where other plastic films fail.
Mechanical and thermal properties
Kapton® polyimide films retain their excellent physical properties over a wide temperature range. Unlike other organic films, Kapton® polyimide films do not tend to flow under pressure and temperature loads.
Kapton® polyimide films are characterised by excellent electrical properties. Dielectric strength and dissipation factor remain almost constant within a wide temperature and frequency range. Kapton® polyimide films type CR have a high resistance to corona discharges.
Kapton® polyimide films offer a high level of chemical resistance to a wide range of chemicals, including solvents and oils.
Kapton® high-temperature polyimide (PI) films
You can have confidence in this:
- High performance, reliability and durability
- Continuous temperature resistance up to +230 °C; withstands temperatures from -269 °C to +400 °C for short-term use
- Flame retardant, self-extinguishing, charring only starts at 800 °C
- Kapton® has no melting point
- High degree of chemical resistance
- High resistance to radioactive irradiation
- Resistance to corona discharges
Applications of Kapton® polyimide films
The range of applications is versatile, wherever there are extreme temperatures, vibrations or other demanding environmental conditions, whether circuits in equipment in a space station in outer space or the insulation of solar modules exposed to the heat of the sun.
Proven applications of Kapton® polyimide films:
- Electrical insulation of windings, motor slots, solenoid coils, transformers, capacitors
- Carrier foil for flexible base materials
- Heating elements
- Thermal insulation
- Adhesive film and labels for high temperature applications